Council offers advice on how to cope with infants crying this festive season

With Christmas around the corner and families planning to gather to spend some much-anticipated time together this festive season, Wakefield Council is encouraging all residents to be part of its ICON ‘Babies Cry, You Can Cope’ campaign.

People are being reminded that the littlest members of the family can get overwhelmed by all the new faces and this can result in crying.

Sometimes babies cry for no apparent reason– and although this can be distressing to hear, there are ways that parents and carers can cope.

The ICON programme has four simple messages – for all those who care for infants.

  • I – Infant crying is normal
  • C – Comforting methods can help
  • O – It’s ok to walk away (for a few minutes if baby is safe)
  • N – Never, ever shake a baby
Margaret Isherwood smiling
Cllr Margaret Isherwood

This comes after research suggests that incidences of abusive head trauma or ‘shaken baby syndrome’ can occur more often with people who are not familiar with infants.

Abusive Head Trauma (AHT), previously known as ‘shaken baby syndrome’, causes catastrophic brain injuries, which can lead to death, or significant long-term health and learning disabilities.


The latest phase of the campaign works to raise awareness in all members of the family of the normal crying pattern of young infants, ways to cope, and who to ask about ICON support if needed for themselves or someone they care about.

Cllr Margaret Isherwood, Cabinet Member for Children and Young People said: “It is really important to recognise it is is normal for babies to cry and we want to ensure that parents, carers and family members are aware of this, have coping strategies and know that help is available if they are struggling.

“It is important that everyone understand how to avoid causing harm and that all babies need loving and gentle care to thrive and grow.”

The Council is working with partners to spread the message. For advice on crying and ways to cope, visit or talk to a GP, Midwife, or Health Visitor, for advice.